.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Harvard 

I know it's fading away even now, but I'm going to toss in my thoughts on Larry Summers' (President of Harvard) gender disparity comments by not commenting on them at all. When I was in graduate school at the University of Minnesota during the 1990s, one of the folk-truths was that anyone going to Harvard as a new faculty member was doing so only to pad their CVs before moving onto a school where they would actually get tenure. That is, unless they had graduated from Harvard. Rumor was that you had no chance of getting tenure at Harvard unless you had earned at least one degree from Harvard (Bachelors or PhD). I don't know if this is true or not, but I talked to more than one professor who dismissed their time on the Harvard faculty in just that way. "Oh, I didn't go to school there so I had no illusions that I would get tenure. I just wanted to have a better CV before I went somewhere else."

So who cares what the leader of some inbred group of professors thinks?


Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?