.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Kodak DX7590 

I keep getting a low level of hits from people searching for information about the Kodak DX7590 digital camera. Since all I've done is mention that I have one, I might as well help out you passersby with my thoughts on the camera. Keep in mind that I'm not a pro and my only previous experience with a digital camera was with a Minolta S414 camera that went belly up on Christmas Eve 2004 after taking, over the course of a few years, a few thousand pictures.

That said I like the camera quite a bit. The 10X optical zoom is great. The picture quality is, to my eye, superior to the Minolta.

One of the consistent raps I read in reviews of the camera was that it doesn't focus well in low-light. The Minolta certainly did no better than the Kodak when the Kodak is in 'Auto' mode. But the camera does have a huge number of operating modes. One of which is designed for dim subjects with a back light. I find that this mode does fairly well at focusing in a normally illuminated room at night.

The camera can't save uncompressed pictures, neither TIFF nor RAW, and it only has two compression settings. The one that generates the largest JPEG file (ie, least compression) still makes a 5 Megapixel picture in a smaller file than the finest setting on the 4 Megapixel Minolta. But, again to my untrained eye, the pictures from the Kodak look better than the ones from the Minolta.

Shorter Hank's review: While I would rather have not had to spend the money to get a new camera, I do like the new one better than the old one.


Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?