.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 08, 2005

The Tooth Fairy Miracle 

Last night I wasn't tired enough to go to bed, and I was noodling around on my computer while the TV was on for background noise. In the current Pope-apalooza, PBS had on some panel discussion about Faith and God. Now understand internets, I was brought up about as Lutheran as it is possible to be. I am descended from a long line Lutheran Pastors. I went to Church for my entire childhood; I was an altar boy. My farming grandmother used to look down on the "Bohemians" in the next county (when I was a kid I didn't know much about hippies other than that they seemed like they were having a lot of fun and that sometimes they were called Bohemians. I _really_ wanted to go see what rural Minnesota Bohemians were like. Then I found out that she was talking about the Czech Catholics that lived a few miles down the road. They weren't Lutheran so they weren't quite right. (Listening to A Prairie Home Companion is like listening to stories about my family.)) So I'm familiar with the God talk. This panel kept going on and on about Faith and belief in Miracles and how science can't really get at the answers about God. It was driving me insane. It was people very earnestly debating the nature of their imaginary friend.

One thing they kept going back to was the 'historical' fact of Jesus. Historical? Are there any documents from 2000 years ago (besides the Bible) that mention a man claiming to be God who was executed and then came back from the dead? Anyone? Anyone? As far as I can tell, the documentary support for the physical existence of Jesus is a book that was very heavily edited in the centuries after his supposed existence by a bunch of men who had a vested interest in people believing the book was revealed truth.

I'm rambling here, but as I get older I get less and less able to handle discussions of faith. If you really believe in God that's great, but I still think you're soft in the head.


Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?