.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Well Now We Know 

The Chron has an article about how it is becoming quite common to abort female fetuses in India. There are a couple of reasons for this: when your daughter gets married you have to pony up a dowry (ie, pay somebody to take your daughter off your hands) and parents are looked after in their old age by a son. So from a selfish perspective it makes monetary sense to reduce the number of daughters you have. Nationwide, under the age of 6, there are 932 girls for every 1000 boys. In one area the ratio is 710 girls per 1000 boys.

This has been going on for a while in China too, with the added pressure of the 1 child per couple rule.

So, internets, I hear you saying, "So how does this effect me waaaaaay across the ocean in America?" Well, what do you think a society with more males than there are females of compatible age does? I'm thinking the next big land war is going to be between China and India and it's going to start in 15 to 20 years. Or, they'll get over their antagonism and form an alliance against some evil, oppressive third party. I wonder who that might be?

And in 10 years or so the dynamics of marriage in India will probably get much more interesting. I'm thinking that the dowry is about to go away.

Father of Boy #1: Dipak I'll let my son marry your miserable daughter if you give me <Large Number> rupees.
Father of Boy #2: Dipak I'll give you <Somewhat Smaller Number> rupees if you let me son marry your daughter.
Dipak (Father of Girl): FoB1 you can fuck off. Fob2 you've got yourself a deal as long as the wife and I move in with your son and my daughter when we retire.


Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?