Friday, January 27, 2006
Last weekend we went over to a patch of reasonably flat territory to rollerblade and run around. Weeeee!
- Looks Like Mona Lisa (Smells Like Tuna Fish) - Michelle Shocked
- Ice Heavy Branches - The Appleseed Cast
- Petrushka: III La semaine grasse - Maxim Anikushin
- New Year's Day - U2
- I Wanna Be A Hippy - Technohead
- Babylon - Crown Of Thorns
- I Dreamed About Mama Last Night - Johnny Cash
- A Little Bit of Your Loving Goes a Very Long Way - Saffire - The Uppity Blues Women
- Blues For Monty - Joe Pass Quartet
- Johnny Strikes Up The Band - Warren Zevon
Thursday, January 26, 2006
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
|Chopped Onion||Saute in butter until soft||Add spices and stir together||Add Chicken and brown slightly||Add tomatoes and simmer for about half and hour||Add yogurt and cashews, stir and bring warm over low heat|
|a certain amount of curry powder|
|a few pinches of cumin|
|a pinch of cayenne|
|chopped up chicken|
|canned chopped tomatoes to taste|
|chopped toasted cashews|
Garnish with toasted cashews and cilantro. Serve over rice.
One entertaining thing about the group is that they are confirmed Mac-heads and the few people with Windows machines had to go out of their way to acquire them. If I get the job I should fit in pretty well... One of those MacBook Pros would be pretty nice.
Friday, January 20, 2006
Here's YW part way through the below-described skating lesson. We just might go skating again this weekend so MLWN can skate too.
- Money, Guns And Coffee - Pray For Rain
- Reviews / Korg N364 - Future Music
- Medley - James Brown
- Armenia City In The Sky (Live) - Sugar
- The Jerk - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
- Shoot the Singer (1 Sick Verse) - Pavement
- Good Time Music - Lovin' Spoonful
- Tonyage - Descendents
- Emily - Los Lobos
- I Can't See Your Face In My Mind - The Doors
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Monday, January 16, 2006
The latest one was the ice skating party he went to on Saturday. He'd never been ice skating before so naturally he was just going to hate it. I convinced him that he should just take the half-hour lesson that was part of the party package. Then next week when MLWN is available for skating (she competed at figure skating in Jr high school and was bummed that she couldn't go to the party), he could go skating with her. He agreed. When we got to the rink he said he didn't even want to take the lesson. Paternal authority prevailed and he got some skates then he saw a couple of other party-attending friends of his and he dashed out onto the ice. When they shut down the rink an hour and a half later I managed to convince him that it was OK to take off his skates.
The best part of all this is that I've told him that the more he complains the more I think he's going to like whatever the focus of his complaints is. It just makes him complain more.
Saturday, January 14, 2006
Here's a blast-from-the-past picture of the boys from March 2003. Just for reference, the sweatshirt YW is wearing has been handed down to YA and now fits him perfectly.
Friday, January 13, 2006
- Ice - Magic Dirt
- Violent Love - Skankin' Pickle
- Black Sheep - Killing Heidi>
- Esperando Por Ella - Oscar D'Leó
- Precious Things - Tori Amos
- A Good Soundtrack - The Aints
- Do You Want Out - Mock Orange
- It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - Annie Ross & Gerry Mulligan
- Seven Years - Cowboy Junkies
- The Other Side Of The Coin - Solomon Burke
Thursday, January 12, 2006
Whereupon YA had the opportunity to be reminded of one of Hank's Rules Of Parenting: Tantrums don't work. You, as my child, will never never never never get your way if throw yourself a tantrum. I don't reward that behavior at all. My thinking is that if you give in even once, all you've done is show the kid what s/he has to do get something s/he really wants. I don't like dealing with tantrums enough to encourage them.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
- He will lie when under oath (see his testimony about recusing himself from cases involving Vanguard).
- He will lie to get a job (see his response to Sen Feinstein about his application for work with Reagan Administration).
This has been going on for a while in China too, with the added pressure of the 1 child per couple rule.
So, internets, I hear you saying, "So how does this effect me waaaaaay across the ocean in America?" Well, what do you think a society with more males than there are females of compatible age does? I'm thinking the next big land war is going to be between China and India and it's going to start in 15 to 20 years. Or, they'll get over their antagonism and form an alliance against some evil, oppressive third party. I wonder who that might be?
And in 10 years or so the dynamics of marriage in India will probably get much more interesting. I'm thinking that the dowry is about to go away.
Father of Boy #1: Dipak I'll let my son marry your miserable daughter if you give me <Large Number> rupees.
Father of Boy #2: Dipak I'll give you <Somewhat Smaller Number> rupees if you let me son marry your daughter.
Dipak (Father of Girl): FoB1 you can fuck off. Fob2 you've got yourself a deal as long as the wife and I move in with your son and my daughter when we retire.
Saturday, January 07, 2006
Here are some snaps from our trip to the zoo. It may come as a shock, but we were not the only people at the zoo searching out Alex, Marty, Melman, Gloria, and the Penguins (The Skipper, Rico, Kowalski and The Private). A close look at the photos shows that there is motion in several; the rhino is so dark because it was wet from an extended frolic in its pool. Gloria (the hippo), was in a really bad mood. It kept doing the mouth gape/biting motion at the few people in the area.
Friday, January 06, 2006
Here are the Boys climbing on the panther sculpture in the entry area of the San Francisco Zoo. And for those of you who are interested, the time to go to the Zoo is in the winter in between storms. It was cloudy while we there, and it sprinkled a bit, but there was nobody there. I don't know if it was the lack of people or the break in the storm, but the animals were much more active than their usual trying-to-imitate-taxidermy lifestyles. I'll post a some animal snaps in a bit and you'll see.
- California Nervous Breakdown - Dave Derby
- Pour les Accord - Mitsuko Uchida
- Lucky (Rap) - Joni Mitchell
- Children In Bloom - Counting Crows
- Pride And Joy (Live) - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
- Strap Me In - The Cars
- Hey Now! - Oasis
- A Place In The World - Mary Chapin Carpenter
- I'm In Love - Aretha Franklin
- Mr. Smith - Nina Simone
Thursday, January 05, 2006
- He has the Right and Power to declare any US Citizen an Enemy Combatant.
- He has the Right and Power to hold an Enemy Combatants in military jails without access to lawyerly advice.
- He has the Right and Power to secretly monitor the communication of anyone in furtherance of the Great War On Terror.
- Once you are in the custody of the Exectutive Branch he has the Right and Power to torture you if that will help the Great War On Terror.
To paraphrase Brad DeLong, I'll stop comparing them with Nazis when they stop acting like them.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006